Definition of Nest:

A Nest is a place of refuge; a place to raise ones offspring, usually made of some Organic materials.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Organic Comfort Food: Meatloaf

People often call and ask me for my meatloaf recipe, so I thought I'd post it. Now that the chilly weather is upon us, I enjoy cooking my family's favorite comfort foods. When we gave up red meat a few years ago I craved foods like meatloaf, meatballs and burgers! I supplemented organic ground turkey and found it satisfies even the pickiest of eaters! Feel free to make ahead, as it is just as yummy the second day! Enjoy :)
Organic Turkey Meatloaf:

Ingredients-
1 Cup Italian seasoned or roasted garlic bread crumbs
3/4 Cup soymilk
1 1/2-2 lbs. Organic Ground Turkey ( I buy the 94% lean rather than 99% for taste. Label should say no antibiotics or hormones etc...)
1 Organic cage-free egg
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 small minced onion
2 tablespoons of sauce mixture

Ingredients for sauce-
1/2 Cup Organic ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon sucanat or organic brown sugar if you can't find sucanat
1/4-1/2 Cup water

Mix all together. Shape into a large, somewhat flattened, loaf. Use a large Pyrex, not a loaf pan. Once formed, pour most of sauce over top of loaf. Spread evenly with spoon. Save a little sauce to baste with once halfway cooked.
Bake at 350 F. for 1 1/4 hours uncovered. Let stand five minutes, serve with yummy veggies and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment